St Mary’s Cathedral

 

St Mary’s Cathedral

Designed by Augustus Welby Pugin, St Mary’s Cathedral, Killarney is a fine example of the neo-Gothic revival in Ireland. Construction began in 1842 and before it was completed Killarney’s Cathedral was used as a hospital and shelter during the Great Famine. A great redwood tree near the western doorway marks a mass grave for children lost to the famine. Though consecrated in 1855, it took until 1912 to complete St Mary’s Cathedral.  St Mary’s Cathedral is the largest of the churches in Killarney, Ireland.

 

St Mary's Cathedral Killarney, Kerry, Ireland